It was time for a little preventative maintenance. I noticed the drive train on the LHT was starting to get a little cranky. Realizing that it was probably filled with limestone dust and other assorted abrasive minerals, I picked up some cleaner and lube stuff and went to work last night.
Little spraying, little brushing, little wiping…. I could not believe the difference. Appearance wise, I didn’t realize just how much crud gets built up on stuff. After 500 miles of riding, I easily filled a rag with all kinds of gunk. Operationally, everything was much quieter and the shifts were back to being very precise. ‘Can’t say enough about this TF2, which is a teflon-based lubricant that Big Jim at Pedal Pushers recommended. It’s clean, easy to use, and obviously works.
The Marin did not improve as much, but I think its probably time to replace the chain, and I discovered that the headset is just about done. I’m toying with the idea of putting some really fat tires on it since it has plenty of clearance, along with a set of Albatross bars.
As for the LHT, I swapped wheels around, loosened and tightened the fork, and generally tinkered with a bunch of stuff and still could not fix the creaking. This morning I sprayed a little bit of the TF2 into the headset, and tonight I’ll see if that had any effect.