The new dyno wheel arrived Friday, so I spent some time in the evening checking it out, changing some tires, and making some switches.
First, the wheel was true and the spoke tension seemed to be right where it needed to be. Spinning the axle on the H-27 dynamo by hand seemed to be just a little harder than the Shimano 3n71, but not excessively more.
I’ve opted to put the new wheel on the Trucker, because the 36 spoke count will match the rear, and the Vuelta rim profile is very close to the Alex Adventurer rim back there as well, so it should be a nice set. The Shimano will then move to the X bike since the Alex ACE-18 rim is very close to the DC-19.
My initial thought was that it would be a real simple switch where I would just plug the wires from the Cyo with the Shimano plug into the Sanyo socket, but I discovered that they don’t match.
It would be ideal if they were the same, but really it only took about two minutes to insert the wires from the light into the new socket.
Once that was done, I gave the new wheel a spin. There is a bit more resistance, and I noticed a slight flicker in the lamp at lower revs. This concerned me, so I ran back into the house, grabbed a heavy coat, wool beanie and gloves, and took the LHT for a spin. There was absolutely no noticable difference in either the resistance or beam out on the street as far as I could perceive, so no worries.
It’s not a bad looking wheel that’s a nice match for the bike, hand assembled, and $95 delivered; so I’m pleased with the purchase at this point. It also has me chafing at the bit to get the new Luxos in and mounted, and to get out for some rides!